Gmail SMTP stopped working yesterday
The Real Bev
2013-04-27 19:42:42 UTC
4 accounts can't send email. No change to the settings, but I've been
tweaking today with no result. Here's what I'm using:

smtp.gmail.com
port 465 (or 567, no difference)
***@gmail.com
Normal password
SSL/TLS

If I cancel a message, TB tells me to check my settings and try again.
If I let it go until it fails by itself, TB tells me the smtp connection
timed out. It's inconceivable that ALL the passwords on ALL my accounts
went bad at the same time.

I'm going to try deleting and adding a password to one of the accounts,
which I should probably have done before writing this message, but I'm
really SICK of tweaking only to find out that it's something THEY'VE
done. (Yeah, I have Charter!)

Just me or is anyone else having problems?
--
Ch rs,
B v
My f ck ng k yb rd h s l st ts v w ls.
Lynn McGuire

Lynn
The Real Bev
2013-04-27 20:03:40 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by The Real Bev
4 accounts can't send email. No change to the settings, but I've been
smtp.gmail.com
port 465 (or 567, no difference)
Normal password
SSL/TLS
If I cancel a message, TB tells me to check my settings and try again.
If I let it go until it fails by itself, TB tells me the smtp connection
timed out. It's inconceivable that ALL the passwords on ALL my accounts
went bad at the same time.
I'm going to try deleting and adding a password to one of the accounts,
which I should probably have done before writing this message, but I'm
really SICK of tweaking only to find out that it's something THEY'VE
done. (Yeah, I have Charter!)
Just me or is anyone else having problems?
It is just you.
ONE of the accounts will send, but nothing in my list of smtp servers
references that account. Curiouser and curiouser...
--
Cheers, Bev
I'm pretty sure omnipotent entities don't need
middlemen to get their message to the people.
Lynn McGuire
2013-04-27 20:09:06 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by The Real Bev
[...]
And what version of TB are you using?

And what platform?

Have you rebooted recently?

Have you rebooted your router recently?

Lynn
The Real Bev
2013-04-27 20:30:44 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by The Real Bev
[...]
Oops, sorry. 17.0.5
Post by Lynn McGuire
And what platform?
slackware 13.37
Post by Lynn McGuire
Have you rebooted recently?
I do it every day. Gmail worked in the morning, but not in the evening.
No interim reboot. Not working on today's boot either.
Post by Lynn McGuire
Have you rebooted your router recently?
Yes, but most stuff works -- including hotmail and yahoo smtp servers.
The Real Bev
2013-04-27 20:44:54 UTC
WTF? Not only does this thread NOT appear in
mozilla.support.thunderbird, it was CANCELED in mozilla.general. This
is a legitimate thunderbird question -- what settings do I need to
change, if any, in order to accommodate Gmail's vicissitudes? -- and
NOBODY cancels messages in moz.general.

What gives? Am I banned from moz.support.tb?
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by The Real Bev
[...]
Post by Lynn McGuire
And what platform?
slackware 13.37
The Real Bev
2013-04-27 21:26:45 UTC
I feel stupid, so I'm top-posting here. I thought the choice of smtp
server was in the 'server settings' submenu (duh, silly me!) and was no
longer there, but it is in reality in the submenu for the NAME of the
server in question, the line above the 'server settings' line.

Anyway, the working account had been using my ISP's smtp server. I
switched the gmail account(s) to use that server, and stuff goes through.

So it's clearly google's fault. I guess I can't blame Chris, but I'd
sure like to :-(
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by The Real Bev
[...]
Post by Lynn McGuire
And what platform?
slackware 13.37
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Linux -- the ultimate freebie!
Lynn McGuire
2013-04-28 19:36:25 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by The Real Bev
[...]
And how did things go?

Lynn
The Real Bev
2013-04-29 17:56:25 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
And how did things go?
Still can't use the gmail server(s), but my ISP's server works fine. I
can also send email from the gmail website.
--
Cheers, Bev
"If you watch TV news, you know less about the world than
- Garrison Keillor
Mike Easter
2013-04-30 23:25:57 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by The Real Bev
4 accounts can't send email. No change to the settings, but I've been
smtp.gmail.com
port 465 (or 567, no difference)
Normal password
SSL/TLS
If I cancel a message, TB tells me to check my settings and try again.
If I let it go until it fails by itself, TB tells me the smtp connection
timed out. It's inconceivable that ALL the passwords on ALL my accounts
went bad at the same time.
I'm going to try deleting and adding a password to one of the accounts,
which I should probably have done before writing this message, but I'm
really SICK of tweaking only to find out that it's something THEY'VE
done. (Yeah, I have Charter!)
Just me or is anyone else having problems?
It is just you.
I'm replying to Lynn's message because I can't see any of TRB's in
either group on the moz server.

All of TRB's messages are visible on GG
https://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.thunderbird/browse_thread/thread/f6ac3dd29795e6f?hl=en&tvc=2

What I would do to troubleshoot the gmail smtp problem:

Login to the gmail webmail. If gmail develops a 'security condition'
then it won't let any client login without doing the captcha which is
available/solvable by using the web browser. Then after you have
successfully logged in via user/pass + captcha, the client's use of the
user/pass will work again and the security condition has been solved.

If there isn't a captcha security condition, my next strategy would be
telnet, except you can't do very much with telnet when it is SSL.

Gmail's help describes the telnet move, after it mentions that besides
the SSL ports 465 or 587, you can also use 25 with SSL on their server

http://support.google.com/mail/answer/78775?hl=en Problems sending mail
with POP or IMAP

With vanilla telnet, all you can find out is if you connect; from a
terminal do

telnet smtp.gmail.com 587

and if you connect you will see

Trying 74.125.141.108...
Connected to gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.google.com ESMTP em2sm438551pbb.0 - gsmtp

... but you can't do any transacting such as user/pass because you
aren't SSL.

If you want to talk to the server in SSL, you would need to use openssl
or telnet-ssl

If you have openssl installed, you can:

openssl s_client -connect smtp.gmail.com:587 -starttls smtp

It appears that TRB must be banned from the moz server, so she would
have to GG it to post here successfully.
Mike Easter
Mike Easter
2013-04-30 23:36:46 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Login to the gmail webmail. If gmail develops a 'security condition'
then it won't let any client login without doing the captcha which is
available/solvable by using the web browser.
Still can't use the gmail server(s), but my ISP's server works fine. I
can also send email from the gmail website.
... so there is no captcha/security issue.