Firefox Hello
F***@pobox.com
2015-02-26 17:17:25 UTC
This is the most annoying ad campaign Mozilla has done, and they are
masters at annoying invasive ads on their home page. I could imagine
someone having an adverse reaction to the fade in/fade out images on the
screen.

I know I could change the home page, but I keep it there so I have a
plain vanilla install for those writing into the Mozilla webmaster
email. That's all I use the browser for now, helping upset users who
refuse to sign up to the support site and randomly contact a no longer
listed email. I explain to them I'm the only one who reads and
responds, but at that point they've already written it.
WaltS48
2015-02-26 19:28:17 UTC
Post by F***@pobox.com
This is the most annoying ad campaign Mozilla has done, and they are
masters at annoying invasive ads on their home page. I could imagine
someone having an adverse reaction to the fade in/fade out images on the
screen.
I know I could change the home page, but I keep it there so I have a
plain vanilla install for those writing into the Mozilla webmaster
email. That's all I use the browser for now, helping upset users who
refuse to sign up to the support site and randomly contact a no longer
listed email. I explain to them I'm the only one who reads and
responds, but at that point they've already written it.
Lots of Hello feedback coming in as a result of the promotion in the snippet. Expect a feedback roll up by EoW
REF: <https://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/2100>

The feedback roll up should be interesting.
--
Kubuntu 14.10 | KDE 4.14.1 | Thunderbird/38.0a2(Earlybird)
[Coexist · Understanding Across Divides](https://www.coexist.org/)
Wolf K.
2015-02-26 22:28:50 UTC
Post by WaltS48
Post by F***@pobox.com
This is the most annoying ad campaign Mozilla has done, and they are
masters at annoying invasive ads on their home page. I could imagine
someone having an adverse reaction to the fade in/fade out images on the
screen.
Are you referring to the W8-style tiles that offer a button when you
mouse over them? That's not intrusive at all. Now if a video fired up as
soon as the mouse touches that tile, _that_ would annoying.

Nobody who's been to current homepages will be fazed by this. It's quite
tame and mild compared to some of the truly intrusive crap out there,
which is the reason I no longer bookmark home pages, but search for
content instead. That almost always yields a link that bypasses the home
page.
Post by WaltS48
Post by F***@pobox.com
I know I could change the home page, but I keep it there so I have a
plain vanilla install for those writing into the Mozilla webmaster
email. That's all I use the browser for now, helping upset users who
refuse to sign up to the support site and randomly contact a no longer
listed email. I explain to them I'm the only one who reads and
responds, but at that point they've already written it.
Lots of Hello feedback coming in as a result of the promotion in the
snippet. Expect a feedback roll up by EoW
REF: <https://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/2100>
The feedback roll up should be interesting.
The Hello page is merely lame. I didn't check the others. FWIW, I've not
been to the mozilla home page in years, only visited it this time to see
what the fuss is about.

G'day,
--
Best,
Wolf K.
kirkwood40.blogspot.ca
»Q«
2015-02-27 02:18:10 UTC
Post by Wolf K.
Post by F***@pobox.com
This is the most annoying ad campaign Mozilla has done, and they
are masters at annoying invasive ads on their home page. I could
imagine someone having an adverse reaction to the fade in/fade out
images on the screen.
Are you referring to the W8-style tiles that offer a button when you
mouse over them? That's not intrusive at all. Now if a video fired up
as soon as the mouse touches that tile, _that_ would annoying.
I think he's talking about the snippets on about:home. IMO, they're no
more "invasive" or annoying than they have been since they were
introduced long ago, but Terry's recently become sensitized to them, I
think when the big one soliciting donations went live not too long
ago. Hopefully, whenever people are annoyed by the snippets, they'll
e-mail Terry about their issues. ;)
F***@pobox.com
2015-02-27 19:16:56 UTC
On 2/26/2015 2:28 PM On a whim, Wolf K. pounded out on the keyboard
Post by Wolf K.
Post by F***@pobox.com
This is the most annoying ad campaign Mozilla has done, and they are
masters at annoying invasive ads on their home page. I could imagine
someone having an adverse reaction to the fade in/fade out images on the
screen.
Are you referring to the W8-style tiles that offer a button when you
mouse over them? That's not intrusive at all. Now if a video fired up as
soon as the mouse touches that tile, _that_ would annoying.
No, the default FF home page. It's a new ad campaign with pop in/out
images that could cause someone an epileptic attack.
Post by Wolf K.
Nobody who's been to current homepages will be fazed by this. It's quite
tame and mild compared to some of the truly intrusive crap out there,
which is the reason I no longer bookmark home pages, but search for
content instead. That almost always yields a link that bypasses the home
page.
The FF default home page is too annoying. I would never use it, but I
keep it so I know what users are seeing when they continually write in
to the Mozilla webmaster email. Why? No idea, except many have said
they won't create an account to post in the support pages.
G'day,
»Q«
2015-02-28 04:28:17 UTC
Post by Wolf K.
Post by F***@pobox.com
This is the most annoying ad campaign Mozilla has done, and they
are masters at annoying invasive ads on their home page. I could
imagine someone having an adverse reaction to the fade in/fade
out images on the screen.
Are you referring to the W8-style tiles that offer a button when you
mouse over them? That's not intrusive at all. Now if a video fired
up as soon as the mouse touches that tile, _that_ would annoying.
No, the default FF home page. It's a new ad campaign with pop in/out
images that could cause someone an epileptic attack.
First it was fade in/out (which actually happens), now it's pop in/out
with dire medical consequences (which doesn't actually happen)? When
will the developers stop trying to kill us all!?
Post by F***@pobox.com
The FF default home page is too annoying. I would never use it, but
I keep it so I know what users are seeing when they continually write
in to the Mozilla webmaster email.
You could tell them how to change their home pages¹ without ever viewing
about:home yourself. But then you wouldn't be able to tell them how
very right they are or warn them about medical problems Mozilla could
cause them.

1 https://support.mozilla.org/kb/how-to-set-the-home-page
Frank
2015-02-27 00:52:46 UTC
Post by F***@pobox.com
This is the most annoying ad campaign Mozilla has done, and they are
masters at annoying invasive ads on their home page. I could imagine
someone having an adverse reaction to the fade in/fade out images on the
screen.
I know I could change the home page, but I keep it there so I have a
plain vanilla install for those writing into the Mozilla webmaster
email. That's all I use the browser for now, helping upset users who
refuse to sign up to the support site and randomly contact a no longer
listed email. I explain to them I'm the only one who reads and
responds, but at that point they've already written it.
Saw discussion of that little hello thing in m.s.firefox and removed
icon as instructed.

I use isp as home page and no problems. Did not like the hello thingy.
Big_Al
2015-02-27 01:58:48 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
This is the most annoying ad campaign Mozilla has done, and they are
masters at annoying invasive ads on their home page. I could imagine
someone having an adverse reaction to the fade in/fade out images on the
screen.
I know I could change the home page, but I keep it there so I have a
plain vanilla install for those writing into the Mozilla webmaster
email. That's all I use the browser for now, helping upset users who
refuse to sign up to the support site and randomly contact a no longer
listed email. I explain to them I'm the only one who reads and
responds, but at that point they've already written it.
Saw discussion of that little hello thing in m.s.firefox and removed
icon as instructed.
I use isp as home page and no problems. Did not like the hello thingy.
I bypassed the pop up the first time I ran FF. I don't see anything about "Hello" now. Did I accidentally turn it
off?
»Q«
2015-02-27 02:39:39 UTC
Post by Big_Al
I bypassed the pop up the first time I ran FF. I don't see anything
about "Hello" now. Did I accidentally turn it off?
Probably not, but the icon may be tough to spot.

At <https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/hello/>, there's a "TRY FIREFOX
HELLO" link which should cause the browser to highlight its button and
give a dropdown. (You won't actually start a Hello session until
you've clicked in the dropdown.)
F***@pobox.com
Change FF back to its default home page.
»Q«
2015-02-28 04:30:52 UTC
Post by Big_Al
I bypassed the pop up the first time I ran FF. I don't see
anything about "Hello" now. Did I accidentally turn it off?
Change FF back to its default home page.
That won't necessarily get him the snippet that advertises
"Hello" -- it doesn't for me. And it's unnecessary.
The Real Bev
2015-02-27 16:41:23 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
This is the most annoying ad campaign Mozilla has done, and they are
masters at annoying invasive ads on their home page. I could imagine
someone having an adverse reaction to the fade in/fade out images on the
screen.
I know I could change the home page, but I keep it there so I have a
plain vanilla install for those writing into the Mozilla webmaster
email. That's all I use the browser for now, helping upset users who
refuse to sign up to the support site and randomly contact a no longer
listed email. I explain to them I'm the only one who reads and
responds, but at that point they've already written it.
Saw discussion of that little hello thing in m.s.firefox and removed
icon as instructed.
I use isp as home page and no problems. Did not like the hello thingy.
No idea what you're talking about. I only go there to look for
extensions. I use my bookmarks.html as my home page.
--
Cheers. Bev
It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament
met too much resistance.
F***@pobox.com
2015-02-27 19:20:02 UTC
On 2/27/2015 8:41 AM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
Yes, anything is better than the default FF home page. But that's where
the annoying ads are now coming from.
F***@pobox.com
2015-02-27 19:18:43 UTC
On 2/26/2015 4:52 PM On a whim, Frank pounded out on the keyboard
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
This is the most annoying ad campaign Mozilla has done, and they are
masters at annoying invasive ads on their home page. I could imagine
someone having an adverse reaction to the fade in/fade out images on the
screen.
I know I could change the home page, but I keep it there so I have a
plain vanilla install for those writing into the Mozilla webmaster
email. That's all I use the browser for now, helping upset users who
refuse to sign up to the support site and randomly contact a no longer
listed email. I explain to them I'm the only one who reads and
responds, but at that point they've already written it.
Saw discussion of that little hello thing in m.s.firefox and removed
icon as instructed.
I use isp as home page and no problems. Did not like the hello thingy.
If you don't use the default FF home page, you haven't seen it yet.
It's annoying and intrusive.
Frank
2015-02-27 23:41:44 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
My annoyance was with the icon placed next to my forget icon and I was
always hitting it. Dragged it into icon purgatory.
Ron Hunter
2015-02-28 00:37:43 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
I dragged the Hello thing to the toolbox, with a lot of other stuff I
wouldn't ever use. I have a phone with the ability to make calls with
video, but have only used it three or four times in the 5 years of so I
have had the ability. Sure don't need it on a Web Browser. Should be
in Thunderbird!
As for a default FF home page, I use Google for my home page since that
is where I usually go first when I get on the computer.
WaltS48
2015-02-28 00:48:04 UTC
Post by Ron Hunter
I dragged the Hello thing to the toolbox, with a lot of other stuff I
wouldn't ever use. I have a phone with the ability to make calls with
video, but have only used it three or four times in the 5 years of so I
have had the ability. Sure don't need it on a Web Browser.
Tell that to the industry.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=14042441#p14042441
Post by Ron Hunter
Should be in Thunderbird!
You may get your wish.

Speaking of Thunderbird.

[Thunderbird Usage Continues to Grow | The Mozilla Thunderbird Blog](https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2015/02/thunderbird-usage-continues-to-grow/)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2015-02-28 10:46:59 UTC
In message <1ISdnblWwepLkGzJnZ2dnUU7-***@mozilla.org>, Ron Hunter
<***@charter.net> writes:
[]
Post by Ron Hunter
As for a default FF home page, I use Google for my home page since that
is where I usually go first when I get on the computer.
Ditto, though I use the advanced search page - the top box remains the
same as the default one, and the other boxes are there if I want them.
(Also, the advanced search page tends to have less fancyware - I don't
always want the latest Google doodle, though they are fun sometimes.
[The advanced page now _does_ have it, but only a small version.])

Anybody can garble quotations like that -- even with the Bible... Er... "And he
went and hanged himself (Matthew 27:5). Go, and do thou likewise (Luke 10:37)."
F***@pobox.com
2015-03-02 19:38:14 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
IMO, Hello is too late to the game. Most Apple only users use Facetime,
but Google Hangouts works with PC/Android/and Apple. You can also send
text messages in Hangouts without a cell connection via wifi, something
no default text app does.
Caver1
2015-03-02 20:27:28 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
I send text messages over wifi from my pc and android tablet all the time.
Caver1
Caver1
2015-03-02 20:37:50 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
That is not using Hangouts.
Caver1
F***@pobox.com
2015-03-03 19:46:13 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
Then you're using a text app that works similar to Hangouts. They were
the first to do so. Before that technology, you could only send texts
with your cell carrier.
Ron Hunter
2015-03-03 23:17:39 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
For which they happily charged you! Apple iMessage works through wi-fi,
if it is available.
F***@pobox.com
Now if Apple would only port cross platform.... That will never happen. ;-)
Ron Hunter
2015-03-04 02:07:22 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
Not exactly, but if the phone you are sending to is not an iPhone (or
not logged into iCloud), then it will send the message SMS, automatically.
F***@pobox.com
2015-03-05 17:48:20 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
Yes, but iPhones really screw up SMS messages that are long to other
platforms. When anyone with an iPhone sends a long text to anything
other than an iPhone, the order is always wrong, so you have to wait and
get all of them and then figure out which one goes where. Apple has no
plan to fix it, as they really only want their devices to work correctly.
Ron Hunter
2015-03-05 18:12:32 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
Never heard of that problem, but then I don't send long text messages
via SMS (note that it MEANS Short Messaging System), right? I have sent
a lot of pictures that way though to my non-iPhone friends.
Dino
2015-03-05 21:45:04 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
simply disable imessage on an iphone and it will use the normal
messaging that the world uses.
Ron Hunter
And, if you don't have a messaging plan, it may become expensive.
F***@pobox.com
2015-03-06 00:14:20 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
My sister has an iPhone, and will send me updates on our parents, who
are both in rehab facilities. They are often 5 or 6 screens of texts,
and I have to look at all of them to figure out which screen goes where.
I always think with that much info to give, I might as well call.
Sometimes long messages will get converted to MMS (like group texts),
which may cause the problem I've read.
Ron Hunter
2015-03-06 01:20:17 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
Wouldn't it work better to put it in an email, or drop it onto Dropbox,
or similar free cloud site as a text file?
F***@pobox.com
2015-03-06 02:27:24 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
Yes, email or a phone call would be ideal. But people now text
everything. For me, texting is a one line bit of info. If I need to go
on longer, I will email or call.
Ron Hunter
2015-03-06 08:57:21 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
Same here. I am all for using the correct tool for the job. You can
drive a screw with a hammer, but it won't hold as well. Grin.

Ron Hunter
IMessage does.
F***@pobox.com
2015-03-03 19:50:09 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
That was released around the time of Hangouts, but isn't the same, as
Facetime does video messaging, iMessage does text, etc. But it's not
cross-platform.
Ron Hunter
2015-03-03 23:19:30 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
True, iMessage is only for those who are connected to the iCloud. The
user can choose if it is allowed to use cellular, or only wi-fi. Best
to limit things like that and Facetime or sending videos via iMessage,
to wi-fi unless you have a healthy data plan.
F***@pobox.com
2015-03-04 02:03:21 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by F***@pobox.com
[...]
I was actually shocked last summer in Cabo when our oldest daughter sent
me a text using Hangouts . We don't have service in Cabo (at least I
won't pay for int'l service), so we can't text either. Now I know we
can communicate without our carrier. Sweet!